Tuesday 19 October 2010

Clinton, sport and TV


Hello all apologies for the delay I have been too lazy the past few days.

So last weekend I had the amazing chance to go to a Bill Clinton rally in a local city, Binghamton which is a 3 hour "ride" from New Paltz. All this was because of my internship with the Ulster County Democrats a local attorney offered to pick me up and take me as he was planning on going. So I agreed to meet him outside Starbucks on Main Street, I waited when a voice said "Hey Connor where over here" so I went round the corner following a member of the democrats and we gradually got closer to a topless red convertible. I jumped in the back and off we went. The journey was beautiful as the fall has really set in just now and we were travelling through up state NY which is very mountainous with lots of trees with leaves now changing to the orange-red. We arrived at the Holiday Inn after a deep conversation about local politics. The "line" continued to grow and grow and by then end we reached the room limit of 600. We managed to get to the front with everyone squished in it began in the proper American style with the national anthem star spangled banner with the crowd getting fired up then began the speeches by the Mayor, assembly members, the congressman  (who the rally had been put on for) then with deafening cheers from the crowd Congressman Hinchey introduced "the 42nd President of the United States William ...Jefferson... Clinton". A few hecklers in the crowd had the nerve to shout "where's Monica" and later they would interrupt the Presidents economic speech with "END THE FEDERAL RESERVE"  to which he replied with "I cant really hear you guys from all they way down here but I think you's should stop shouting and start listening" which was greeted with widespread cheers. The speech focused on economic policy and how the Democrats are the only party with the ability to return the country to the growth witnessed under his administration. He came across as being very well educated, passionate about the hopes for the country with a defiant belief in Obama's general policies including healthcare and specifically economic policy despite his wives brutal attacks during the 2008 nomination process a campaign in which he himself declared himself to be against such plans. It is very difficult to understand the feelings Democrats have for Clinton, I was very much under the impression that many would prefer to see him President again over Obama people just seem to love him and everything he has done (including the Monica incident) and continues to do under his charity The Clinton Foundation. He truly is an incredible public figure- I did not agree with many things he advocated but to be in such as position as he is after entering the Oval Office in 1993 it is a remarkable achievement to still be widely respected not just by Democrats but by Republicans as well.

Another thing element of American life that I cannot understand is that this is a nation of sport but is also the most obese nation on Earth. Football, Soccer, Baseball, Hockey, Softball, Volleyball, Swimming, Dancing of all kinds, Wrestling and Basketball are all sports that if you asked a typical American they would say they have been involved in at least 3 of these at one point in there lives. Its difficult to understand. At New Paltz not that im going but the gym is free so are all of the above sports apart from American football (for some reason they dont have a team). On a typical day you will see large groups and individuals running a sight that is somewhat removed from Dundee uni.

I have began to get up to speed with American cable TV. My flat mates rarely miss an episode of Family Feud (Family Fortunes) which is as you would expect very over dramatic American families shouting and screaming "Good answer" followed by constant clapping as they find that the ridiculous answer they have given is not on the board. Cops is also a popular show within my flat- its sort of like the British police programs the ones where people speeding and drunks get arrested expect it has an American twist with guns, drugs, college kids going crazy and obviously loud screaming Americans. Madmen, Boardwalk Empire (which I have started watching and is amazing), Dexter, How I met your mother, Its always Sunny in Philadelphia and Sons of Anarchy are all very popular shows.

My dining dollars ran out this week. These are part of the degrading meal plan you are put on so I chose the cheapest option which was $400 dining and 65 meals at the buffet place. So I went to the supermarket today buying American groceries such as bagels and weird American bread and I managed to cross of an American thing from my list......a brown paper bag for groceries it really was exciting and I have now pinned it to my wall.

No comments: