Saturday 6 November 2010

Halloween and Rally

Hi all,

So last weekend was the much hyped American Halloween experience but I was in DC for most of the time. I was at "The rally to restore sanity" which was hosted by two popular American political satire comics John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. It was estimated that 200,000 people turned out for the rally against the current politics in America. In a sentence American politics are very polarized at the moment between Democrats and Republicans so nothing is getting done. So the rally was to get America moving again but was not explicitly supportive of any party. At the rally was Ozzy Osborn, Yousif A.K.A Cat Stephens, Kid Rock, The OJ's and Cheryl Crow. It all made for an absolutely amazing day especially the OJ's singing Love Train. I went with a friend from the Politics club, Samantha and stayed over at her friends house the night before the rally. DC is a dream for politics enthusiasts as you pass all the government departments, supreme court, capital building and not forgetting the monuments. In order to get there we had to pass through NYC which is just indescribable. The buildings combined with the sheer population are overwhelming and overpowering but paradoxically you get a sense of empowerment within the city. We stayed over at Samantha's house in Queens NY on the way back up. Her family showed me great hospitality and were very accommodating. It was interesting to stay with an American family albeit for a night something was different I don't know what but it was. It has made me even more eager to stay at my friend Ryan's for thanksgiving.

For Halloween I dressed up as the gingerbread man from Shriek. Ive put pictures on Facebook so have a look it was a good costume I was assured. As I walked down main street children were coming up asking for a picture with the gingerbread man and all I could hear was "OMG its the Gingerbread man". My friend Joe was dressed up as Eliot from ET and even made an ET in a basket it was really good.

Well the elections never went our way but locally we managed to hold everyone which was I suppose a good achievement despite the fact we should not have to fight for them that much. Overall Obama has to make massive changes both to himself and his policy agenda. It will be very interesting if anyone from his own party makes a move against him now that he is weak. I would say his best move of his presidency is making Clinton his Secretary of State, his most powerful opponent is now pre-occupied and focused on 2016. He has three areas to legislate on Energy, Immigration and Education on all both the Democrats and Republicans have bitter divides and will require careful navigation.

No comments: