Monday 13 September 2010

American Teaching

Hi,

The teaching style here is completely different from Scotland and its a change I dont really like. At Dundee the lecture hall was packed with 100-200 people all taking the same class and then one a week we would have smaller tutorial group with around 20 people if not less. However here there is a class of around 20 people and the teacher walks up and down the aisle asking questions to make sure you have done the reading. It seems very patronizing to me and like a change back to school days. I have also found the referencing and quoting of other authors to be far more relaxed.

Also the child like aspect is shown with the food situation. Her you have to select a meal plan which consists of so many meals which can be used at the buffet place and dining dollars which can be used across campus eating places like a fake subway, a sushi bar and cafes. On Wed I was having a quick breakfast before catching the bus to DC when at the end I thought Id grab a bagel and walk to the bus with it when a buy shouted at me "there aint no way man your walking out of here with a bagel" It was 7 in the morning and I felt like throwing it at him but I walked back to my wee seat and eat it with his eyes watching me, its just so degrading considering I ordered last years food from Tesco.com and prepared it and cooked and eat it all by myself. Not only this but the meal situation can be pretty expensive by comparison as a weeks shop at Dundee came to max around 20 pounds here I have to spend at least $10 a day on food around 7 pound.

No comments: