Saturday 18 September 2010

American Stereotypes


Hello all,

Its been about 5 weeks now since I left behind a rainy Scotland for the warmer American college experience, overall I can say without doubt I did not expect things to be so vastly different politically, socially and as I said in my last post University Life. I have this week joined a few clubs some weird but all special in there own way: Campus Crusade for Christ, Zombies vs Humans, Dumbledore's Army of New Paltz and also I joined an optional Leadership course which sounds really good.

The question everyone wants to know- "Is it just like the films" so hopefully ill shed some light on this just now.

Jocks: Yes there are guys who walk about constantly in Athletic gear and thats what they study as well and            these people do attend a lot of parties
Parties: The Parties over here are amazing imagine a small house with at east 150 people crammed in with strobe and neon lights and massive cegs of beer. Entry fee is $5 for a cup unlimited beer afterwards.
Cheerleaders: Yes they look just like the ones in Glee at practice and saw a sign today saying they were doing "one of those" car washes next sat.
Frat House: Yes there are frat and sorority houses and these are where the  parties are at
Red cups: if you have saw American Pie will have seen the red cups and yes they are everywhere but called solo cups
Traffic lights: they look as though they are out of a movie with all the wires swinging and no pole
Speech: People talk like movie characters quite a lot and have movie names like John Bauer dont be surprised if I say "ooohhh man", "really guys come on" or "Black coffee and a Bagel with cream cheese and honey please". And when they say America it sounds like a George Bush speech.
Guns: Unfortunately I asked and none of my flatmates or parents own a gun but one did offer to get me one with the serial number taken off
Politics: Very Conservative makes Labour seem Communist
The South: The north hates the south blaming them for all the stereotypes although a hospital was raided by a gunman the other day in NYC but no one really bothered
Dog the Bounty Hunter: Again I was very disappointed when I asked and found out that a man with ridiculously long hair does not go around in a massive fleet of cars to catch criminals
SUV's: loads of people drive sports cars and SUVs ive yet to see a ford ka the price of petrol drum roll...... £1.90 for 4.5 ltr wow

So I hope thats cleared some issues up anymore questions drop me a comment below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi just trying x granny