Sunday 3 October 2010

Democrats, Concert and Film Making


This week began with a concert immediately after my last blog post. It was part of what my suite mates had been calling "New Paltz fest" which was basically a weekend of partying. One of my flat mates, Andrew invited five friends up from New Jersey which made for a very full flat with 11 people in all. The concert was brilliant as the lack of EU health and safety made for an evening of crowd surfing, really really loud music but yet everyone was at least 90% sober. The concert was American Pop-Punk which is like the music from movies such as American Pie so needless to say it felt very American. The stage was small with around 150-200 people crowding round and the pit consisted of fans elbowing, punching, kicking, crowd surfing and screaming. Every so often you would see one young sober fan run pass security and dive from the stage which made for a lot of "ooohhh" viewing. I ventured into the pit after Joe (flat mate) convinced me that I had to. The concert was good but I still say the car journey there was a lot better. Andrew's friend Connor had brought his college car which was a car barely road legal with a roof caving in, no stereo, broken doors, a broken speedometer and windows that didn't open. With 5 of us crammed in and listening to music though Ipod speakers we drove along the American highway past bridges, paying tolls and a little road rage as well. It was I suppose what I imagined to find here.

I met the local democrats this week and was officially given an Internship. There meeting seemed in a few ways similar to Labour meetings except with less visible fighting but I was later assured that it does exist. I got a ride up to Kingston by the former Mayor of New Paltz and his wife who is the head librarian here they were very friendly and took time explaining the basics of what was happening in the county at the moment. So I should be spending some time with them this week.

The rest of the week was quiet I went to a few clubs but not much else. This weekend I've been watching movies and then me and flat mate Ryan (who studies film) decided to make one. We quickly on a walk to Stop and Shop came up with a plot and managed to rope his friend Jackie Rabbit in. I played the part of Jackie's boyfriend and we found an old camera, we were then invited to a part when I suddenly realised I forgot to do laundry so I go down and get murdered, Jackie wonders where I am so comes down sees me dead then runs screaming up the stairs. When she gets back the monster gets in the room and kills her. It is..........a low budget movie and I have no career in acting but was brilliant to make and I will post it to Youtube- as long as you don't wind me up about it (which I know will never happen).

I found a website britishdelights.com which ships Irn bru and Tunnocks to the US at reasonable rates so I think I will place an order.

Well I hope everything is well back in Scotland only 2 months and a bit until I see yous all again.

No comments: