Saturday 25 September 2010

Ed Miliband is leader



I was able to watch the results on a sometimes slow internet feed from BBC News and I have to say it will be a moment I will remember for a long time until dementia sets in- sitting in my dorm room in New Paltz, New York with my room mate still asleep and a set of headphones on the tension was killing me slowly and slowly aided by the various stallings of the feed the time approached. I grabbed a pencil and began writing down the results by the second round a sudden feeling of disappointment came over me the realisation that my man had lost and more importantly my £5 was in the hands of Ladbrokes. But then the third round came through, DM on 49.35%. I jumped from my creaky desk seat jumping in the air and silently screaming and swinging my arms as the cheers of Labour members from conference flooded down my ears. It was a moment. 

To all of you who thought I had got it wrong, who looked at the odds at ladbrokes and those polls and thought no way, to those who believed that David Miliband was destined for this moment and those who said Red EDs to left to win- I say we have now got a leader of the Labour movement who can move us forward, who can present to government a strong viable alternative to tuition fees, who can base our future foreign policy on the ideals that we hold rather than the long traditions of the past and most importantly can take the Labour party through the difficult decision making policy on cuts demanding that the coalition give us growth over cuts.

American politics is completely different from the UK and sometimes I find myself quite angry and in disbelief with what is promoted over here but thats another blog post for another time.

In other news: I have contacted the Democrats this week and I believe I am starting an internship with them soon. I was supposed to go to HQ on Fri but they changed to Mon when I am to attend a convention with them. I really really hope there HQ resembles something like the President Santos West Wing campaign. I also became elected council rep for the Politics society and signed up to got to an anti tea part rally on Oct 30th in Washington  DC. I had a Politics "pop quiz" on Fri- I think it went it OK just a combination of multiple choice Questions, definitions and a mini essay will be a couple of weeks before I get the results.

No comments: