Saturday 11 December 2010

Connor and American Health care

Hey all,

So yesterday I was round at Fiona's and I went to sit down when my knee dislocated again, and after a while of pushing it eventually went back in. We sat for a bit and I was convinced to go to the student health service building. Overall I am going to pay $800 on health care during my stay here and I can honestly say what a rip off that is. I hobbled in though the light snow with Fiona where I was put in a wheel chair that the woman did not know how to use. Her first question to me "Do you have your ID card honey" obviously to check my insurance. So we sat for a bit and then I was pushed into a room to see the nurse who looked over part of my file the other was "lost" she then checked my vital signs and took a statement of the events. Then a doctor came in who was very nice but at no point did she actually ask to see my knee. She then proceeded to  phone the other Doctor who dealt with such matters but the phone call ended up being a "so what's for dinner" which lasted around 15min. She informed me, after saying hold on to her partner, that I needed a brace but they never had any. I also needed an ice pack but...they didn't have any and I also needed tape for the ice pack that Fiona had ran over to the gym to get for me but...they didn't have any. The were asked me if I wanted to go to the A&E but I had previously been told that such a trip there in an ambulance and treatment can cost $200 at least so I refused. They did have crutches however so I was sent away in the snow with 600 milgram tablets of ibuprofen and crutches. I hobbled with Fiona today to the pharmacy where it was sort of possible to buy the brace that I needed for the low cost price of $71.

I know I might have experienced a really bad practice but still I LOVE THE NHS!!!

This week was also student elections week. I was not notified of my success in being able to stand when the others were so naturally I did not start campaigning. It was a very disappointing as I had planned a massive campaign in my head and asked friends to help me. But then on election day came the news that I was still on the ballot paper so I rushed out a facebook group and Fiona made brilliant fliers and handed them out. I dont know when I will get the results but fingers crossed.

No comments: