Wednesday 18 August 2010

24 Hours in


So I have now lived in the USA for over 24 hours now. Its been very exciting from the road signs to school buses to one Dollar notes. The day began simple enough with an American waffle with syrup which was just brilliant and a lovely cup of walnut coffee. The dinning hall is great with loads of food like fresh pizza, the biggest salad bar ive seen, waffles, turkey, bread stuffing, ice cream, jelly, hot dogs, burgers, bagels, vodka sauce,  coffee and omelets and Im sure there is more that Ive just not discovered yet. The campus is really really nice and I will put some pictures up on Facebook as soon as possible. There is a large pond with geese, ducks and terrapins all swimming around and lots of green space, trees and strange American grass.

I got my New Paltz student ID which is so much nicer than my Dundee one. Then within two hours of stuffing myself at breakfast I soon found myself in the dinning hall again. We then had a tour of campus where we saw the theater, gym, lecture halls, coffee shops, subway like shops, sushi bar, student association building and loads more. Also there is a campus shop with sweaters with New Paltz on them, New Paltz flags, books, a sweater blanket and New Paltz shorts. It was boiling hot through the whole day.

For tonight there was a mall trip organized so we all gathered in the car lot 18 for the bus to arrive. We were waiting on a typical bus like the one that brought us here but what came into the lot was 4 American school buses :0 It was brilliant and sooooo exciting. The mall was massive but we spent most of the time in target where i managed to buy a phone for my room and a fan which comes as a massive relief. We were there for a couple of hours which just completely flew by. Never have i seen so many different types of the one thing all in the one place it took me ages to find a shampoo. After the mall we went for a Mcdonalds (it had to be done soon) The fries are so much more saltier and the big mac was a bigger taller big mac which was really nice. My room feels a little more homely now and freshmen and athletes are due to arrive tomorow so I should be living with someone by then :) I hope someone brings a TV with them. The people who work in the dorms are really nice but they all know my name which is a little scary.

Another tiring day but tomorrow looks less busy but I think im going a bike trip round New Paltz :)

My phone number is (001)845 257-5055 the 001 I think is the right int code.

1 comment:

mummybear said...

Hi son its your mamma here! ha ha just read your big apple page.........fantastic. i am so excited for you. i tried to phone the telephone number but i think you need an extansion number for your room???.
so glad the food is good...you might put on some weight yeeha but not to much, remember i am a fattist!
it all sounds great and lovely for you i am am so pleased for you. will check in later see if you on line. its 7.15 here. love always mum xxxxxxxx