Sunday 29 August 2010

New York New York

Hi all,

Yesterday I went to NYC for the first time since I got here. On the way to New Paltz from JFK we could see the outline of an amazing city which only increased my desire to go building up to yesterday.

As we got closer and closer we entered the Lincon Bridge crossing the underwater border between New Jersey and New York. Once we emerged I happened by chance just to glance to my right unsuspectingly the city that never sleeps was placed in front of me. The streets, people, basketball courts and schools all resembled parts of movies, none more so than the pursuit of happiness. The bus dropped us off just outside Times Square. Hungry and a little tired after the frat party I walked through my local cities square with my mouth wide open. Its really hard to describe what the place is like its just incredible.

We went to the Rockefeller centER to book our tickets for NY sun set which started at 7:30, this was to later cause a little stress as we over relaxed walking about. We had to jump in a yellow cab at the bottom of Manhattan during gridlock to get to the upper middle this distance would normally take around 10min but here  it was more like 30min. City driving is crazy everyone seems to beep at nothing or just to tel you that they are coming near you.

After booking the tickets we went to the UN walked a bit of a long distance through Chinatown and a trendy area to the Brooklyn bridge, then to the southern tip of Manhattan to see the statue of Liberty, up through Wall street to ground zero, up to canal street, back to the Rockefeller building to see NY at night and finally back to times square for a bit.

The day as it sounds was incredibly exhausting.  I have posted pictures on Facebook and will upload them to my blog later.

Plans for this week- Haircut, spot a raccoon, another frat party and look forward to DC next week

No comments: